Makes 2 quarts
3 cup white popcorn kernels
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon chili powder
4 teaspoon ground allspice
4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon curry powder
4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. In a small saucepan melt the unsalted butter on low heat.
Walnut Apricot Harvest Loaf
2. Add the salt, chili powder, ground allspice, ground cumin,
curry powder, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
Leave the butter and spice mixture on the lowest heat while
popping the corn.
3. Pour 3 tablespoons of canola oil and
3 cup popcorn kernels (or enough to cover the bottom of
the pan no more than one kernel deep) into a heavy 3-quart
pan (or larger) with a lid.
4. Cover and gently shake the pan
over medium-high heat, allowing steam to escape the pan.
Remove the pan from the heat when kernels have stopped
5. Carefully pour popped kernels into a large bowl
and pour the butter and spice mixture over the popcorn.
6. Stir or gently shake the bowl to cover the kernels with the
*Don’t wait too long before serving.
Serves 8 to 10
4 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
1 cup water
2 cups wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon salt
2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large egg
2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
2 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
4 cup chopped walnuts for the top of the loaves
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
2. Preheat the
oven to 350ºF.
3. Grease 4 mini loaf pans (that hold about
2 cups of batter per loaf) or one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
4. In a
small saucepan, place coarsely chopped apricots and water.
5. Bring to a simmer, then remove pan from heat and set
aside to cool.
6. In a bowl stir together wheat flour, baking
soda, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
7. In a large
bowl whisk together egg, vegetable oil, vanilla, orange zest,
orange juice, and the apricot mixture.
8. Slowly add the flour
mixture. Fold until all dry ingredients are moistened.
the coarsely chopped walnuts, stirring just a few times to
distribute walnuts into the batter.
10. Pour the batter into the
mini loaf pans, about
4 of the way full.
11. Evenly distribute
the chopped walnuts on top of each mini loaf.
12. Bake for
25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center
comes out clean. If using a 9 x 5 loaf pan bake for 40 to 45
minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out
13. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before
taking the loaf out to cool completely on the rack.