In our house,
cake makes a rare
pretty much pie people.
Serves 5 to 6
1 single crust of pie dough
4 or 5 pears, peeled, halved, and cored
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 tablespoons flour and extra for dusting
3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
drizzle of honey
1. Preheat oven to 425˚F.
2. Roll dough out on floured
8” thick and roughly a 12” circle.
to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow to rest in the
4. Slice pears. In large bowl, toss them with a
squeeze of lemon, spices, flour, and sugar.
5. Arrange fruit
mixture in the center of the dough, leaving a 2 or 3” border.
6. Fold dough over fruit, pleating your way around.
center with butter and drizzle with a tablespoon of honey.
8. Bake for about 35 minutes. The crust will be golden brown
and fruit will be bubbling.
9. Add another drizzle of honey
*Great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Pie Crust Dough
Makes 2 single 9” pie crusts or 2 galettes
2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
1 cold egg whisked with enough cold water to make
1. Add flour, salt, and butter to bowl of food processor fit with
blade attachment. Process until butter forms small peas.
4 cup of egg/water combo. Pulse until dough starts
to pull together (if it’s too dry you can add a touch more
3. Turn out onto floured surface.
4. Pull together and
divide into two discs.
5. Wrap individually in plastic wrap.
Refrigerate to rest for at least 1 hour.
*The dough can be frozen for 1 month. Defrost for use. Dough
should be cool to touch for rolling, not room temperature.