Inspired by the classic flan recipe that most Latin American
grandmothers have in their repertoire, this recipe adds good
quality cocoa powder and espresso–a Latin classic that
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups heavy cream
1 cup sweet and condensed milk
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
3 large eggs, separated
2 cup milk
edible gold leaf for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF
2. Whisk together cocoa powder,
heavy cream, sweet and condensed milk, espresso powder,
and egg yolks in a large bowl.
3. In a different bowl, whisk
egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold whites into the cocoa
4. Divide into ovenproof ramekins (silicone molds
are ideal) and bake in a water bath, covered with foil for 25
to 30 minutes or until set.
5. Allow them to chill completely
6. Serve directly on plates. Garnish with
Hazelnut Chocolate Pudding
If as they say, “the proof is in the pudding,” this recipe is
proved to comfort and soothe any mood and taste.
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cups whole milk
4 cup heavy cream
3 ounces fine-quality milk chocolate, chopped
1 ounce bitter sweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons of hazelnut cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cup chopped hazelnuts for serving
1. Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and a
pinch of salt in a small pot.
2. Slowly add milk and cream
and whisk to incorporate.
3. Bring to a boil over medium
heat and continue whisking.
4. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until
the mixture becomes thick.
5. Remove from heat. Whisk
in chocolates, hazelnut cream, and vanilla until smooth.
6. Divide mixture into 6 small cups or bowls, sprinkle with
chopped hazelnuts, and enjoy either warm of cold.
Chocolate Layer Cake with Salty Caramel Filling
The sumptuous marriage between caramel and fleur du
sell becomes even more decadent if paired with chocolate
ganache and moist chocolate cake. I recommend using a
recipe for our favorite chocolate cake–you bake two 9” cake
pans; then split into four layers.
2 cups sugar
4 cup water
3 tablespoons corn syrup
3 cup heavy cream
2 cup butter
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoon fleur du sel and a bit more for garnishing
3 cups heavy cream
2 pounds semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place sugar on a medium skillet, stir in water, and cook
over medium high heat, without stirring, until the mixture
becomes a deep amber color.
2. Add corn syrup and carefully
pour in heavy cream.
3. Remove from heat and add chopped
butter, sour cream, and salt.
4. Cool completely before using.
5. Heat heavy cream on a small sauce pan over medium high
6. Place chopped chocolate in a heat resistant bowl
and add hot cream.
7. Let stand for a few minutes and stir to
8. Add vanilla and allow to cool before using.
9. Place first cake layer on a cake stand or platter.
ganache and a thin layer of caramel.
11. Sprinkle a few grains
of salt and repeat with the following layers finishing with
ganache and a few flecks of salt.